Thursday, June 14, 2007

Zimbabwe 'collapse in six months'

Zimbabwe is drunk. And in exactly six months, it will collapse- or so the BBC says.

Six months from today is supposed to be Christmas. In many parts of the world, that is right about the time when people are in a jovial mood, looking forward to a new year. Some people make resolutions, others make tonnes of money, and yet still others make tonnes of presents. Generally, it is a time to be Merry! But, I wonder what Zimbabweans will be doing then. The BBC says they will be in a chaotic state of emergency owing to the collapse of the country.

Though I cannot even imagine what the collapse of a country is supposed to look like, I can smell the craziness already. A few weeks ago the Zimbabwe dollar was 1: 2500 on the official market and 10 times on the parallel market. Fast forward to last night, it was 20 times that. The money is only mathematically humongous, but it ain't worth a dime!

So, I wonder where I will be when the country collapses. I hope that I will not be in a bar, drinking. But before the country collapses, I am wondering how and why the world has left Zimbabwe to intoxicate itself to the point of near collapse. While I cry for Zimbabwe, I am cautious about South Africa given that it is beginning to exhibit some of the problems Zimbabwe faces/ faced.

No comments:

Post a Comment